Pre-Marital and Marital Counseling
Get your marriage off to a great start or keep the fires burning. Education is one of the keys to a long lasting relationship. We are proud to offer the best materials available for starting well, running strong, and maintaining a long and loving relationship.
“PREPARE/ENRICH began in 1980 as a result of several research projects at the University of Minnesota in which Dr. David Olson developed a set of inventories for couples; known as PREPARE/ENRICH. Because of the demand for inventories David and Karen Olson formed PREPARE/ENRICH (Life Innovations, Inc.) to provide these helpful tools for counselors, clergy members, mentors and other marriage educators.”
Prepare/Enrich provides a comprehensive couples & marriage assessment that Marybeth is certified to administer. This tool helps couples to identify strength areas as well as areas that may require extra attention. The assessment covers the 10 core scales of relationship health:
- Idealistic Distortion — When our relationship doesn’t measure up to our expectations (Fantasy vs. Reality)
- Communication — What you hear may not be the message or meaning that was intended (assertiveness and active listening)
- Conflict Resolution — Good advice on how to resolve the issues that arise. (10 Step Plan)
- Partner Style and Habits — Using the personality SCOPE and family maps to better understand each other.
- Financial Management — Budgets and Shared Financial Goals
- Leisure Activities — Plan your dates, doing things together goes a long way to lasting and loving relationships
- Sexuality and Affection — Intimacy is more than the physical / sexual encounter.
- Family and Friends — When does he tell his mother that she is no longer #1 in his life?
- Relationship Roles — Who is in charge of what? Learning to work together.
- Spiritual Beliefs — Do you share a spiritual nature? Have you negotiated a settlement to any differences?
In addition the Prepare/Enrich assessment provides a Five Factor Model of Personality (S.C.O.P.E personality profile)
- Social (extroversion vs. introversion)
- Change (how flexible or willing to change are you)
- Organized (conscientious vs. easy going)
- Pleasing (agreeable vs. competitive)
- Emotionally Steady (calm vs. sensitive)
Marybeth employs the Prepare/Enrich materials in her practice.
The Gottman Theory For Making Relationships Work
“Our research shows that to make a relationship last, couples must become better friends, learn to manage conflict, and create ways to support each other’s hopes for the future. Drs. John and Julie Gottman have shown how couples can accomplish this by paying attention to what they call the Sound Relationship House, or the seven components of healthy relationships”…
Gottman Method Couples Therapy was developed out of this research to help partners:
- Increase respect, affection, and closeness
- Break through and resolve conflict when they feel stuck
- Generate greater understanding between partners
- Keep conflict discussions calm
Marybeth Hrim has completed Gottman Level 1 Training.
Marybeth employs the Gottman Method Couples Therapy in her practice.